The Americans excavate the Compartment Wall (diateichisma) In the years 1932–1937, the American School of Classical Studies undertakes excavations in collaboration with the Archaeological Service. During the period 1936–1937, the whole, 850-meters-long Compartment Wall is restored at least on […]
The construction of the new church of Agia Marina below the Observatory The once-upon-a-time medieval, cave-like little church of Agia Marina is integrated into the reconstruction plan of a new and far larger church bearing the same name, based […]
The residence of the famous painter Parthenis The controversial modern-style and example of the Bauhaus architecture residence of Constantinos Parthenis (1878–1967), one of the most prominent Greek painters of the 20th century, stands out on the junction of 40 […]
The district of “Asyrmatos” In the area close to the radio transmitter of the Greek Navy War School and on the rocks of the old quarry on the Hill of the Muses (Philopappos) settle 800 immigrant families from Asia […]
The “Allied Army of the Orient” camps on the Hill of the Muses Despite the initial neutrality of Greece in World War I, in October 1915 the Anglo-French army of Entente lands in Thessaloniki and forms the “Allied Army […]
Excavations on the Pnyx Under the supervision of Konstantinos Kourouniotes, the Archaeological Society at Athens undertakes excavations in order to study the monumental retaining wall, and it is confirmed that the area is identified with the ancient Pnyx, the […]
The Doridis telescope The large refracting telescope of the National Observatory of Athens is manufactured by the French house Gautier, financed by donations of Greeks of the Diaspora; it is installed under a special vault, a few metres away […]
The installation of the radio communication system station To the southwest of the Observatory the station of the radio communication system is installed, with a 45-metre long antenna. According to Manolis Korres, the location of the building is identified […]
The gradual afforestation of the Hills The Philodasiki Enosis (Society of Friends of the Forest) is founded in 1899 and undertakes to carry out the important project of reforesting the basin of Attica. After the introduction of Act 2740/1900, […]
New proprietorship of the rocky heights The status of the quarries changes definitively by the Act 2646/1899 “On antiquities”, according to which the proprietorship of the rocky heights bearing ancient structures and cuttings come definitively under the authority of […]
Excavations at the top of the Hill of the Muses and next to the Observatory The summit of the Hill of the Muses (Philopappos) is excavated under the supervision of Andreas Skias, the objective being to find the architectural […]
The first systematic attempt to map the antiquities In 1878, archaeologist and historian Ernst Curtius, and cartographer and topographer Johann August Kaupert undertook a systematic mapping of the antiquities in the region of the Western Hills. As it is […]
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.