December 5, 2018
December 5, 2018


Illicit quarrying at “Skalakia”

The ancient rock-cuttings south to the ancient Koile road are being intensely quarried, at least between the years 1938 and 1944, the year when the aerial photograph was taken. The quarry belongs to Konstantellos family and in 1954 resumes its operation for one year. The deep hollow left by quarrying is immediately proclaimed as archaeological site; today it is covered by soil and thin vegetation.
Selected bibliography:

Dakoura-Vogiatzoglou 2013, 204.


A 1944 aerial photograph, on which the area around the Konstantellos quarry and the location “Skalakia” is designated by a circular sign.
(Source: BSA Aerial photographs, frame No. U37/3275-3285 & Nicholson Museum, curator: William J., Woodhouse, Greece, NM2007.123.12)